Thursday, May 26, 2011

Week # 8: Creating a Wiki




This wiki idea has come when I most needed it for the Project! 

Last class, last Saturday, we had some work on how to write a Comparison & Contrast essay. At the end of the class, a student came to me saying she needed a model before trying to write her essay. The folder does not have a model essay. So, she asked me to send her models through e-mail. I, then, showed her how to go for models online. Then, I thought maybe I could also send the other students that model. That would be time consuming, though. Another thing was students were saying they were having a hard time managing the blogs and visiting them on a regular basis. I, then, said I would send them all the links.

This week our task has been to create a template for a handout, an exercise or a class site. I opted for the wiki on Google Sites. First, I thought that would be overwhelming for the students. Then, I thought I wouldn’t be able to create one, as I read: “this is the most complicated of the tools”. But then, as I gave it a try, I soon realized that would make my life much easier! It just dawned on me that a wiki would be the solution for the problems I had mentioned before. I would add all the blog links, model essays, docs with transition words and even the interesting videos on the topics discussed! What a discovery!

As I got more interested in the wiki world, I started searching… And I found some cool sites I’d like to share. First, this is a good example of a wiki:  


And, to my surprise, there are many wikis around!

At WikiMatrix, we can select the wikis that match our personal needs and compare them.  There is also a forum to talk to other Wiki users, where we can ask questions and discuss everything Wiki.  

So, I decided to create it (https://sites.google.com/site/writing2wiki2011/) and I sent the link to that student who needed the model and had said she had had problems when finding the links for the blogs. She loved the idea! Her comment was: “now, I see the whole picture”.

She has raised another issue, though. Actually, that has been my biggest challenge in the blog project. She mentioned that now my challenge is to have students make comments on their peers’ writings. The thing is, they are not used to giving feedback in writing. Last class, one student commented: “it’s easier when we talk and give feedback in class, but when we know it will be there written on the blog, it’s more serious and we have to think about the words we will choose in order not to offend or cause embarrassment”.

I think I’ll have to deal with cultural issues. I thought technology would be the most challenging thing! My mistake!


Helô 

6 comments:

  1. Helô,


    I think wiki is making my teaching easier, have you seen the innumerable possibilities we have with this tool?.
    I have spent long trying to get a nice presentation for my students. I added some information. I have also thought in creating a wiki for all my classes.


    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helo, the wiki is great! To have the writings in one place for everybody else to read and discuss is very motivating. It will help students generate ideas, and improve on style for sure. I read some of the essays and I like them very much. These girls take their learning very seriously.
    Only several years ago we had a board in the classroom and we pinned the best examples for the others to read and get inspiration :D
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helo,

    The reasons you mentioned above are somehow the same reasons why I created my wiki-page. I think this will make our life and the learning process easier for us and for our students.

    Marsi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Helô,

    I am sure you will be very successful with your wiki. As I mentioned before I think you are lucky because your students are really doing a great job with their blogging.
    I was also "shocked" when I read about this being "the most complicated of the tools". I immediately thought I must have been doing something wrong as I did not think setting up a wiki so difficult. It is true my experience with wikis has been limited to pbworks (former pbwikis)so maybe google is still "the most complicated of the tools".
    Anyway, congrats again!

    Best,

    Gilmar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Helô,

    I was wondering if I might add your wiki to my site links, it would be nice. I will add a link for your wiki if you let me do that.


    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helo

    I like your enthusiasm to help al off us in this Spring course. I like your wiki to develop writing skill.

    Vinicio

    ReplyDelete